The following are the highlights of Budget 2016 which is income tax
* The GST sum is to be credited into value of prepaid reloads from Jan 1
* Personal income tax pushed to 26% from 25% for those earning between
RM600,000 to RM1mil. Income tax is also pushed up to 28 pc from 25% for
those earning RM1mil and above.
* From Jan 2016, RM100 will be given in schooling aid to students from
households with a monthly income of RM3,000 and below.
* RM250 1Malaysia book vouchers will be available for 1.2mil students.
* All domestic economy class flights will be exempted from GST for rural
* The minimum starting salary in the civil service is set at RM1,200 a
month from July 2016. The move is expected to benefit some 60,000 civil
* From July 2016, the minimum pension rate is set at RM950 a month for
pensioners with at least 25 years of service.
* A payment of RM500 for all civil servants and RM250 is allocated for
Government retirees to help with cost of living.
* BR1M payout as below:
- RM400 to unmarried persons above 21 with incomes below RM2000
- RM1050 for those with incomes below RM1000
- RM1000 for those with incomes below RM3000
- RM800 for those with incomes below RM4000
* In terms of income tax, relief for each child below 18 years of age is
increased to RM2,000 from RM1,000 from year of assessment 2016.
* Tax relief for individual taxpayers whose spouse has no income is
increased to RM4,000 from RM3,000.
* Children supporting their parents, even if not living together with
their parents, to get tax relief of RM1500 (for the mother) and RM1,500
(for the father), if the parents are above 60 years of age.
* Parents of disabled children get RM6,000 tax relief and up to RM14,000
if their child furthers his or her studies.
* Tax exemption of RM8,000 instead of RM6,000 is also set aside for
every child above 18 years of age in an education institution, both
local and overseas.
Shall you have any question regarding income tax or need any further
information on taxation issue, please contact:
Jabatan Pemprosesan Maklumat
Lembaga Hasil Dalam Negeri Malaysia
No. 3, Jalan 9/10
43650 Bandar Baru Bangi
Tel : 03 - 8913 3800
Fax: 03 - 8922 1801
Office Hours: Monday - Friday : 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
General Inquiries / Suggestion / Complaint : 1-800-88-5436 / 603-7713 6666
Salary Group (No Business Income) : 03-7713 6699
Business Group (Self Employed / Partnership) : 03-7713 6677
e-Filing : 03-7713 6655